Kompany to leave Man City on a high after treble
The Belgian defender said on Sunday he would be leaving the club after helping them to a become the first team to win the English domestic treble.
Belgian defender Vincent Kompany said on Sunday he would be leaving Manchester City after helping the Premier League club to a become the first team to win the English treble of league championship and both domestic cups.
"We’ve just seen the close of an incredible season. My 11th as a Blue. And I cannot believe I’m writing this but... also my last as a Blue," the City captain wrote in an open letter to fans on his Facebook page. "Man City has given me everything. I’ve tried to give back as much as I possibly could. How often does someone get the chance to end such an important chapter, representing a club with such great history and tradition, in such a great fashion? The time has come for me to go now."
"Best team in the world"
The 33-year-old central defender said he would be posting a second part of the letter 'shortly' with details of his future plans. City crushed Watford 6-0 in the FA Cup final on Saturday to complete the unprecedented treble, after which Kompany said they were the best team in the world. Kompany scored with a thunderous long-range strike to decide their penultimate league match of the season against Leicester City, a key moment in their retaining the Premier League title.
"It’s cliché to say it but it’s also so true: without my teammates I would have never been here today," he added. "We fought many battles together. Side by side. In good times and in bad. So to all of you, from the 2008-2009 squad to today’s domestic Treble winners: I owe you guys! A special word also to (manager) Pep (Guardiola) and the backroom staff: you’ve been superb. You’ve followed me through so much hardship. You made me come back stronger every time. Thank you so much," he wrote
Te recomendamos en English
- US | CHILD TAX CREDIT Child Tax Credit October 2021 payment: what to do if I haven't received it?
- US NEWS | STIMULUS What is Fed tapering and how could it affect new stimulus check?
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands
- LIGUE 1 Mbappé nets controversial late PSG winner against Angers
- SOCCER Transfer stories: Madrid target Lewandowski and Pogba as Barcelona eye Sterling
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool's Salah on verge of more Premier League history