Lille sensation Nicolas Pépé set to leave - coach confirms
Lille have secured a place in next season's Champions League thanks to a second-place Ligue 1 finish, but are set to sell a prized asset.
Nicolas Pépé will leave Lille for a "great European team" in the next transfer window, the Ligue 1 side's coach Christophe Galtier has confirmed. Pépé has been in outstanding form for Lille this season, scoring 22 league goals from 37 appearances as Galtier's side secured a second-place finish. His performances have reportedly drawn interest from a number of high-profile suitors, and Galtier conceded Lille have little choice but to cash in on the 23-year-old.
Lille coach sad to see top scorer move on
"Nicolas Pépé will leave. Life's like that, football's like that today," Galtier told Canal+. "He is a player of the highest level who will have a big decision to make on the choice of his next club. There will be a battle between the great European teams. I hope that he will take good amount of time to think about it, do his research."
Pépé scored twice in Lille's 5-0 win over his former club Angers on Saturday.
PSG, Liverpool and United line up for Pépé's signature
Premier League clubs Liverpool and Manchester United have been credited with an interest, though Paris Saint-Germain are also reportedly eager to sign the Ivory Coast international.
Recommended in English
- Coronavirus Is armpit pain after the covid vaccine or booster shot a normal symptom?
- SOCCER Mohamed Salah sends message to Barcelona
- MLS Jesse Marsch linked to LAFC job after being sacked by RB Leipzig
- USMNT Christian Pulisic explains struggle on the road to recovery
- MANCHESTER UNITED Man United manager Rangnick delivers a 'chapeau' to Ronaldo work-rate
- NBA Did the Bucks' Giannis Antetokounmpo miss the game against Miami Heat?