Real Madrid to launch women's team for 2019-20 season
The Bernabéu will have a side in the Liga Iberdrola after Real paid 500,000 euros to take the place of promoted club CD Tacón for the upcoming campaign.
It appears that Real Madrid will have a team in the Liga Femenina Iberdrola as of 2019-20 after it was announced that the Bernabéu have paid 500,000 to take the place of CD Tacón, who were promoted last season, in the Spanish top flight.
AS has been in touch with CD Tacón to verify the news and the Madrid-based side would neither confirm nor deny the news, originally reported in Spanish broadsheet El Mundo, directing the inquiry to Real Madrid for clarification.
According to El Mundo, the takeover will be completed over the course of the next week, with Madrid perhaps inspired to launch a women’s team after seeing the success of their traditional rivals Atlético and Barcelona, their neighbours winning the league last season and the Catalans reaching the final of the Champions League, the first Spanish side to do so.
A game between the two teams at the Metropolitano last season drew 60,739 spectators, a world record for a women’s league match.
Florentino to resist Galáctico approach for now
It remains to be seen what course CD Tacón and Madrid will take. Most of the current squad have had their contracts renewed after gaining promotion and Madrid may hang on to the large part of the players already at the club and add a couple of star names. Florentino Pérez has always proved reluctant to take the step into the Liga Iberdrola and is unlikely to roll out a Galáctico policy immediately, but the lure of the Bernabéu is sure to attract some big names in the future if the deal comes to fruition.
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO How many times has Barcelona won against Real Madrid without Messi?
- NFL Denver Broncos 14 vs Cleveland Browns 17 summary: score, highlights | NFL Week 7
- NFL Congress demands answers from the NFL about WFT investigation
- US NEWS How could Alec Baldwin have killed Halyna Hutchins with a prop firearm?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?