USA can't defend Gold Cup title as Mexico crowned champions
The United States could not hold off Mexico's insistent pressure as they sought to become seven-time champions of the CONCACAF tournament.
Soldier Field is no longer the American fortress since after 26 years without losing in the iconic Chicago venue, the USMNT fell to their biggest CONCACAF rival.
The American fans trusted in the final being in Chicago and at Soldier Field due to the Stars and Stripe not losing an official match there since 1993, which gave them confidence for this Gold Cup final; however, things didn't work out as they wanted, and Mexico snatched victory from them once again.
Gregg Berhalter is now part of that group of coaches who have failed to beat Mexico. Despite the US having a great tournament with a new generation in the making with quality players such as Christian Pulisic and Weston McKennie, the coach failed to read the game correctly to harm Mexico and defend their title to tie El Tri in CONCACAF trophies.
Jona dos Santos gave Mexico the Gold Cup title goal, but it could've have gone either way, as the Mexicans weren't the best team on the field - but were the ones who scored, which ultimately is the only thing that matters. Thanks to Dos Santos' goal, El Tri have regained their crown as kings of North America.
The USMNT enjoyed a terrific tournament, with a perfect pace and with only one goal against in the semi-finals to reach the final versus their biggest rivals. The fight for the crown was there, and the Americans fought hard, but in the end the balance went to their southern neighbours. But the Stars and Stripes proved to be a tough opponent, that it's not as easy as before to beat them and the next time they face each other, things might go for USA for a change.
Te recomendamos en English
- TAX SEASON 2021 IRS unemployment refund update: how to track and check its state
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS How filing a tax return could help you get third stimulus check plus-up payments
- PERSONAL FINANCE Who qualifies for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) in California?
- Serie A Pirlo: Cristiano Ronaldo happy to be substituted
- REAL MADRID Zidane to leave Real Madrid at the end of the season
- LA GALAXY ‘Chicharito’ Hernández scores his seventh goal of the season in MLS