MLS: Wayne Rooney facing stiffer punishment for elbowing rival in the face
The DC United captain will receive a more severe punishment for being sent off on Wednesday night for elbowing NY Red Bulls Cristian Casseres Jr.
Wayne Rooney was shown a direct red card for elbowing Cristian Casseres Jr in the face during Wednesday's game against NY Red Bulls and now he faces stiffer punishment.
The DC United captain, who already missed the weekend match against Philadelphia Union, will now sit out a second game as a consequence of his sending off, Washington Post journalist, Steven Goff reports.
Rooney was sent off in the 24th minute after VAR reviewed the action in which the English striker appeared to deliberately strike Casseres' face with his elbow during a corner kick.
The 33-year-old, who is set to leave the MLS and the United States at the end of the season to join Derby County as a player-coach will miss the Saturday's match against Montreal Impact - a game where both sides will be fighting for a play-off place in the Eastern Conference.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: is a payment coming? IRS tax return deadline, Child Tax Credit
- US News Covid-19 vaccine in the US live updates: CDC says fully vaccinated no mask, guidelines, Ohio lottery...
- Serie A Ronaldo will lead Juve exodus without Champions League - Vieri
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid boss Zidane: Sometimes a change is best for everyone
- BOXING Floyd Mayweather vs Logan Paul: PPV cost and how to buy
- NBA Doc Rivers: top seed part of journey to ultimate goal for 76ers