MLS: Wayne Rooney facing stiffer punishment for elbowing rival in the face
The DC United captain will receive a more severe punishment for being sent off on Wednesday night for elbowing NY Red Bulls Cristian Casseres Jr.
Wayne Rooney was shown a direct red card for elbowing Cristian Casseres Jr in the face during Wednesday's game against NY Red Bulls and now he faces stiffer punishment.
The DC United captain, who already missed the weekend match against Philadelphia Union, will now sit out a second game as a consequence of his sending off, Washington Post journalist, Steven Goff reports.
Rooney was sent off in the 24th minute after VAR reviewed the action in which the English striker appeared to deliberately strike Casseres' face with his elbow during a corner kick.
The 33-year-old, who is set to leave the MLS and the United States at the end of the season to join Derby County as a player-coach will miss the Saturday's match against Montreal Impact - a game where both sides will be fighting for a play-off place in the Eastern Conference.
Recommended in English
- Coronavirus Why did WHO skip letter Xi and name Omicron the new covid variant?
- NFL What is Dak Prescott contract with Dallas Cowboys? salary and duration
- US NEWS Shooting in Oxford, Michigan high school: how many victims and who is the suspect?
- CHRISTMAS NYC Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting: times, price tickets, TV and how to watch
- COVID-19 How many Covid-19 variants have been there besides Omicron? what are their differences?
- NFL Why are the Green Bay Packers called cheeseheads? What kind of cheese are the cheeseheads?