Josef Martínez closing in on Leo Messi world record
The Atlanta United striker has broken the MLS record for scoring in consecutive matches. The world record however, belongs to FC Barcelona star, Lionel Messi.
The has been no shortage of new records being set in this season's MLS - with Chris Wondolowski surpassing Landon Donovan's all-time goals record, or Carlos Vela becoming the top Mexican scorer in league history to Zlatan setting a new shots-on-goal record.
Atlanta United striker, Josef Martinez is also making history in the US league, he set the most goals in a single season during last year's campaign, and now he is on course to take a world record set by no other than Barcelona's Lionel Messi.
The Venezuelan striker has scored in 12 consecutive MLS games, surpassing his previous record, and now is closely approaching the world record. Martinez currently shares third place in the table with Robert Lewandowski ahead of household names such as Jamie Vardy and Gabriel Bautista.
Consecutive games scoring record
|Lionel Messi||FC Barcelona||2013-14||21||33|
|Tor Henning Hamre||Flora Tallinn||2003||15||21|
|Josef Martinez||Atlanta United||2019||12||17|
|Robert Lewandowski||Borussia Dortmund||2012-13||12||14|
|Jamie Vardy||Leicester City||2015-16||11||13|
|Jose Cardozo||CD Toluca||2002-03||11||20|
|Ara Hakobian||Banants Yerevan||2003||11||23|
Martinez is behind Norwegian striker Tor Henning Hamre who scored in 15 consecutive games in 2003 and FC Barcelona ace Lionel Messi who scored in 21 straight matches in the 2013-14 season. Josef still has a way to go, but if he can keep up his fine form in front of goal, he could well get close to or even beat Messi's world record.
Te recomendamos en English
- Mahrez makes Arsenal move claim and says Leicester cost him 'two years' of career
- CHELSEA "Pulisic feels no pressure to be the next Hazard"
- MANCHESTER UNITED Manchester United: returning Martial crucial to improved form, says James
- KYLIAN MBAPPE Mbappé "flirting" with Madrid actress has Real fans dreaming
- BRAZIL Thiago Silva hopes "Zidane leaves Rodrygo on bench" for PSG-Madrid
- PREMIER LEAGUE Manchester City's Rodri taking title race hope from 2018-19 win