Morata set to miss Madrid derby, after Atlético striker sees red at Mallorca
Atlético Madrid look set to be without one of their main strikers for the crucial showdown with Real Madrid at the Wanda Metropolitano on Saturday.
Alvaro Morata is set to miss the crunch derby against Real Madrid this weekend, after the Spanish striker was sent off in Atlético Madrid’s 2-0 win over Mallorca on Tuesday.
Strike partners Diego Costa and Joao Felix sealed Los Rojiblancos’ first victory since Eibar on 1 September, with respective goals coming in the 26th minute and 64th minute at the Iberostar Stadium.
But celebrations for Atlético's travelling conitigent were dampened when Morata was given his marching orders by Alejandro Hernandez in the 77th minute, after the striker received two yellow cards in the space of two minutes, following arguments with Mallorca's Xisco Campos and the referee.
With LaLiga set to suspend Morata for at least one game, Atléti coach Diego Simeone will be without one of his main strike men for the crucial showdown with Zinedine Zidane’s side at the Wanda Metropolitano on Saturday – which will potentially be a battle between first and second in LaLiga. Although, Atlético will have the opportunity to appeal the decision.
Atléti's city rivals currently sit top of LaLiga following the home win over Osasuna with the Colchoneros currently in second place with a 1st vs. 2nd duel on Saturday adding yet another layer of drama to this eagerly anticipated fixture.
Recommended in English
- Coronavirus Why did WHO skip letter Xi and name Omicron the new covid variant?
- NFL What is Dak Prescott contract with Dallas Cowboys? salary and duration
- US NEWS Shooting in Oxford, Michigan high school: how many victims and who is the suspect?
- CHRISTMAS NYC Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting: times, price tickets, TV and how to watch
- COVID-19 How many Covid-19 variants have been there besides Omicron? what are their differences?
- NFL Why are the Green Bay Packers called cheeseheads? What kind of cheese are the cheeseheads?