Left-back problems and Granada's strengths
Budgets. There is no doubt that Diego Martínez' Granada are the revelation of LaLiga this season given their economic disadvantage having just been promoted from Segunda. The limits on their salary make it even more difficult as they couldn't make a massive splurge in an effort to hang on to their LaLiga status.
Doubts at left-back. Putting the focus on Real Madrid, Zidane has to solve the mystery at left-back. It is not normal that both of you're left-backs are out at the same time and the third player in the squad who can play in that position, Nacho, is also unavailable. After listening to Zidane in his press conference, it seems Militao will be the man selected at the position ahead of the other possibility: Carvajal on the left, Odriozola on the right.
Granada's medium block. Granada are a team that defends with a lot of organisation, aggression and efficiency. They play a large part of the game in a medium block with active pressure. That is to say, they try to win the ball back and attack in transition, making a big effort to protect the inside lines. Montoro, Yangel, Herrera and Azeez have been devouring opposing midfielders and winning almost all of the individual duals, recovering possession in the process to supply Machís, Puertas and Soldado with the ball.
Set-pieces. The effectiveness of set-pieces in attack and the assuredness they defend them have been two keys to Diego Martínez as a manager in 2019-20. 42% of their goals have arrived from dead balls - an outrageous amount. It will be difficult to maintain this number but it shows the good work being done by the technical staff in this area.
Te recomendamos en English
- BUNDESLIGA Timo Werner: "Only Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are playing at Lewandowski's level"
- EURO 2020 Ronaldo allays fitness fears: "I'm not well. I'm very well"
- PREMIER LEAGUE Premier League to improve VAR in-stadium communication with fans
- INTERNATIONAL Marcello Lippi steps down after China's defeat to Syria
- SPAIN-MALTA Sergio Ramos: "Madrid lose out because of Clásico kick-off time"
- BRAZIL-ARGENTINA Brazil-Argentina: Five talking points ahead of the clash in Riyadh