Ibra and Galaxy earn LAFC tie as Union win seven-goal thriller
LA Galaxy defeated Minnesota United to reach the second round of the MLS play-offs, while Philadelphia Union made history on Sunday.
LA Galaxy set up a blockbuster 'El Trafico' derby showdown with rivals Los Angeles FC in the MLS Western Conference semi-finals after edging Minnesota United 2-1.
Second-half goals from Sebastian Lletget and Jonathan dos Santos saw the Galaxy past hosts Minnesota in the first round of the play-offs on Sunday.
After a scoreless first half at Allianz Field, Zlatan Ibrahimovic's Galaxy broke the deadlock via Lletget – who bounced on a deflected shot by the former Manchester United striker with 19 minutes remaining.
Dos Santos doubled the lead four minutes later with a curling effort beyond Minnesota goalkeeper and ex-Arsenal shot-stopper Vito Mannone.
Jan Gregus scored a late goal for Minnesota, but the Galaxy were not to be denied as they look ahead to a mouth-watering clash against Supporters' Shield champions LAFC.
In Sunday's other play-off match, Philadelphia Union prevailed 4-3 against New York Red Bulls after extra time in an historic victory.
The Union overcame the Red Bulls in a thriller for their first play-off victory, having lost their four previous post-season matches.
Philadelphia trailed 2-0 and 3-1 but rallied on both occasions to force extra time as Marco Fabian's 106th-minute goal sent the Union through to the next round.
Next up for the Union are defending champions Atlanta United in the Eastern Conference semis.
Atlanta United 1-0 NE Revolution
Seattle Sounders 4-3 FC Dallas
Toronto FC 5-1 DC United
Real Salt Lake 2-1 Portland Timbers
Philadephia Union 4-3 NY Red Bulls
Minnesota 1-2 LA Galaxy
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Is the Social Security increase for 2022 the largest in US history?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?
- NFL Who are the NFL's All-Time passing yards and Touchdown leaders?
- Fati: Inheriting Messi's number 10 shirt does not bring added pressure at Barca
- NBA NBA 20/21 season to feature 109 international players from 39 countries