Cristiano Ronaldo mother says "mafia" has cost son Ballons d'Or
Dolores Aveiro says the Juventus striker would have more than five Ballons d'Or were it not for the existence of a "football mafia".
Cristiano Ronaldo would have more Ballons d'Or to his name were it not for the existence of a "football mafia", the Juventus star's mother has claimed.
Along with Lionel Messi, the Portugal captain has won the Ballon d'Or a joint-record five times, and is on the 30-man shortlist to succeed 2018 recipient Luka Modric when this year's award is handed out at a ceremony in Paris in December.
"There's a mafia. That's the right word to describe it"
Speaking at a tribute event to Cristiano at his hometown club União da Madeira, Dolores Aveiro said: "There's a mafia. That's the right word to describe it. Yes, there is a football mafia. If you look at everything that has happened, you'll realise that it's because of this mafia."
She continued: "If he were Spanish or English, they wouldn't do what they've done, but since he's Portuguese and from Madeira... well, this happens."
Confident of sixth Ballon d'Or despite "mafia" remarks
Nevertheless, Aveiro said she was optimistic that Cristiano will collect his sixth Ballon d'Or this year: "I don't know if he'll win it, but I'm confident. I think if you look at everything he did last season, he deserves it."
Recommended in English
- MLB Why is the MLB close to a lockout? What are the key issues?
- NFL Where does the Dallas Cowboys - New York Giants team rivalry comes from?
- NFL Who has the biggest NFL rivalry?
- US NEWS What services are likely to stop during a government shutdown?
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES Supreme Court on Roe v Wade live updates: arguments, Abortion Law, Mississippi...
- NFL Who are the 10 best Dallas Cowboy players of all time?