Modric on Messi's six Ballons d'Or: "It doesn't seem real"
The Croatian was on hand to give Messi the award he had won himself last year and said Messi is "one of the best players of all time".
Leo Messi recieved his record 6th Ballon d'Or on Monday night in Paris. Luka Modric, last year's recipient was on hand to give Messi the award and says he did it as a sign of respect to Messi.
"Sports and football are not just about winning, they're also about respect for your team-mates and rivals," Modric wrote on his social media accounts.
"It's something incredible when you see all the Ballon d'Ors there. It doesn't seem real, it just shows that he is an incredible player and that he is one of the best players of all time. Fair play for all he has done and well done," Modric told GOL after the ceremony.
"I'm happy to be here. I think football is about respect and when you don't win, out of respect, you have to be here as it is a celebration of football," he said.
Barcelona have responded to Modric's humility and comments. "A true gentleman," they said on their Twitter account.
Te recomendamos en English
- RYDER CUP 2021 Ryder Cup 2021 full schedule: participants, match dates, and times
- NFL Panthers at Texans: Fantasy Start ‘ems and Sit ‘ems
- REAL MADRID Mbappé: 100 days until PSG star can negotiate with Real Madrid
- Nagelsmann on Rudiger to Bayern rumours: I'll have to see if I have any money in my wallet!
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth