Messi: Argentina boss hopes 2020 Copa América isn't star's last
Argentina coach Lionel Scaloni is hoping the 2020 Copa América will not be Lionel Messi's international swansong.
Lionel Scaloni hopes the 2020 Copa América is not Lionel Messi's last as he eyes success with Argentina.
Argentina will open next year's tournament against Chile at El Monumental on 12 June, it was revealed on Tuesday.
"I don't know if it will be his last. Hopefully not" - Scaloni on Messi
Scaloni hopes 32-year-old Messi, who will again be aiming to win his first senior international trophy, plays beyond the 2020 Copa.
"I don't know if it will be the last. Hopefully not," the Argentina coach told reporters.
#SorteoCA2020 Palabra de @lioscaloni tras el sorteo de la @CopaAmerica: "Todos los rivales son difíciles, aunque es lógico que el primer partido es importante. Nosotros estamos bien, en un buen momento y capacitados para competir". pic.twitter.com/MiBT7yHwbD— Selección Argentina (@Argentina) December 4, 2019
"But Argentina need the title, more than just him. Hopefully, don't promise anything, but we'll give the maximum to reach the final."
Argentina seeking first international trophy since 1993
Argentina, who last won the Copa in 1993, will also face Uruguay, Paraguay, Australia and Bolivia in Group A after their opener against Chile.
Scaloni's men beat Chile in the third-place play-off this year, in a game that saw Messi and Gary Medel sent off.
"It's a nice game to start," he said. "Anyone would have been difficult because the debut is always difficult, but this one has a special feeling.
"Chile has always been difficult for Argentina, especially in recent times. Difficult, but we are fine."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 29 July
- GOLD CUP Mexico vs Canada, Gold Cup semi-final: how to watch - times, TV, online
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 29 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS Simone Biles suffers twisties: What are they? How do they affect gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness