Valverde could make nine changes for Barcelona's match against Inter Milan
Busquets, Messi and Suárez may be rested as Barça think about the trip to San Sebastian and the upcoming Clásico.
Barcelona's 3-1 win over Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League means Valverde can decide what he wants to do in the game against Inter Milan. It's true second place in the group is in play, but that's of no concern to Barça who have won the group outright and can decide whether they'd prefer to rest players for the last group stage game.
Messi likely to be rested for Champions League
Although Valverde is not expected to release his squad list until Monday (Barcelona train at midday before heading to Milan), it's expected that the coach will rest several big names. In principle, Busquets, Messi and Suárez will miss the match, while Sergi Roberto, Lenglet, Piqué and Rakitic will likely travel but play a limited role.
Chances for playing time
Valverde will use the opportunity therefore to give playing time to some lesser names in the squad. Neto, Wague, Todibo, Umtiti, Aleñá, Vidal and Carles Pérez could all start against Inter. Whether Arthur and Ansu Fati play will depend on the state of their injuries (groin and patellar tendon, respectively).
A likely starting XI for Barcelona could be: Neto; Wague, Todibo, Umtiti, Júnior; De Jong, Aleñá, Vidal; Carles Pérez, Griezmann and Ansu.
Barça B players Riqui Puig, Collado, Abel and Hiroki Abe could all also be in the squad and get playing time.
Recommended in English
- Real Madrid Real Madrid: The reasons behind Gareth Bale's rupture with the club and the fans
- SOCCER Xabi Alonso: "Winning Euro 2008 with Spain shut Carragher up..."
- PREMIER LEAGUE Klopp cheers world class Mané ahead of Southampton reunion
- NBA | PELICANS Pelicans All-Star Zion Williamson cleared for full team activities
- NBA | SUNS Streaking Suns keeping eyes on NBA prize as record looms
- NBA Curry salutes Klay Thompson after latest Warriors masterclass