Klinsmann: "I could have led USMNT to the semifinals in Russia 2018"
Jurgen Klinsmann has criticised the USMNT that is currently being managed by Gregg Berhalter and believes he could have made history at the last World Cup.
Almost two years after being sacked as U.S. national team coach, Jurgen Klinsmann has criticised the U.S. team under coach Gregg Belhater in an interview with ESPN.
“They are in their worst moment right now. It is very sad to see them play. If they would have allowed me to continue until the end, I would have qualified for the World Cup and even made to the semifinals," said Klinsmann, who was sacked before the end of the failed qualifying campaign for Russia 2018.
"There was a plan to qualify for Russia 2018, but that plan got interrupted. It got even more interrupted when we did not qualify for the World Cup. It is really sad because the exact opposite happened to the women’s program, which I am a huge fan of too. Hopefully they get it back on track".
In 2011, Klinsmann was appointed as USMNT head coach and went on to win the Gold Cup in 2013. He also led the team last 16 of the World Cup in Brazil 2014, as well as the semifinals of the Copa America Centenario in 2016.
"Under my leadership the USMNT got through the ‘Group of Death’ in Brazil, which nobody expected and many of the players ended up playing in european teams, while others are doing a great job in the MLS", Klinsmann said.
Sending a message to Belhalter
Although he criticised the current USMNT, Klinsmann sent a message of hope to the current manager, Gregg Belhalter, saying the current coach needs to be patient to obtain good results and return to the top of the CONCACAF.
"I hope they are the top team of the CONCACAF again, also I wish the best of luck to Gregg so he can be the head coach in the next World Cup".
Te recomendamos en English
- Liga MX Pumas “We compete in this league without investing in expensive players”
- MLS David Beckham and Rodolfo Pizarro out for dinner ahead of Inter Miami’s debut
- Tennis Who is Chicharito? The question Alexander Zverev asked in Mexico
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Sterling fit for Man City-Real Madrid as Guardiola regrets Hazard loss
- CRISTIANO RONALDO Ronaldo, Georgina enjoy day with family as Cristiano Jr debuts on Instagram
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Chelsea vs Bayern Munich live!