Luis Enrique considers Spain call-up for Valencia's Gabriel Paulista
Gabriel Paulista could soon become eligible for Spain selection and Luis Enrique is keeping an eye on the Valencia centre-back.
Spain boss Luis Enrique will consider Valencia defender Gabriel Paulista for selection if he becomes available to the national team.
Valencia defender eyeing Spain call-up once eligibility confirmed
Brazilian-born centre-back Gabriel is in the process of gaining Spanish nationality and last year expressed an interest in representing Spain once he is eligible.
Speaking to Movistar+, Luis Enrique confirmed it was a situation he was monitoring.
"I am aware of every player who could be called up," he said. "Paulista is going through a process that could make him eligible."
Gabriel would be following in the footsteps of Brazil-born Diego Costa
Should Gabriel make the cut for Euro 2020, it would evoke memories of Diego Costa making a switch to play for Spain as opposed to his native Brazil ahead of the 2014 World Cup.
Costa struggled as the defending champions were dumped out in the group stage and, although he eventually improved to 10 goals from 26 caps, the Atlético Madrid striker has not featured at international level since the penalty shoot-out defeat to hosts Russia at the 2018 World Cup.
Spain will face Sweden, Poland and a play-off qualifier in Group E at Euro 2020.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 5 August
- UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION $100 Mixed Earner Unemployment Compensation in California: what's the deadline to claim it?
- CORONAVIRUS Do all states have to follow the mask mandate?
- Coronavirus How effective are masks against the Delta variant?
- MLS “We urgently need to start winning trophies” - Carlos Vela on LAFC goals
- SERIE A Eriksen returns to Inter for first time since cardiac arrest