America start Clausura 2020 with victory against Tigres
After resting for the first week of this semester, America got their Clausura 2020 off to a winning start against Tigres at the Aztec.
America lost the final against Monterrey at the end of the Apertura 2019 and, as such, rested for the opening week of Clausura 2020.
Finally getting their 2020 campaign started in week two, Miguel Herrera's side hosted the Tigres and finished with a 1-0 victory.
Following their final loss against Monterrey on December 29, America were determined to kick off the new season with a win, but had to do so without one of their best players, Guido Rodriguez, who was sold to Real Betis this week.
Tigres meanwhile, who made it to the post-season but failed to advance to the final, were without Andre Pierrer-Gignac through injury and lost their second game of the season after a draw in their opening game against Atlético San Luis.
America's lone goal came in the 68th minute, when Giovani Dos Santos took the ball and gave a pass to Henry Martin, who finished the play with a goal.
During the second half, Martin had a chance to score a second goal but Nahuel Guzman made sure his side did not concede a second. Following the win, Miguel Herrera's side will now visit Xolos for the third week of Clausura 2020, while Tigres will face Atlas at Monterrey.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Packers and Bears clash as Cardinals aim for six wins in a row
- NFL Eagles trade veteran TE Zach Ertz to unbeaten Cardinals
- LALIGA Ambitious Pedri wants to 'win everything every year' with Barça
- SOCCER European nations set to block FIFA World Cup plans regardless of vote
- NFL Which NBA teams have the highest salary cap in the 21-22 season?
- NBA | NETS Durant on Kyrie Irving situation: "What is being mad going to do?"