Atlético stunned by Cultural Leonesa in Copa del Rey shock
Third-tier Cultural Leonesa caused a Copa del Rey shock on Thursday, dumping out Atlético Madrid to book their place in the last 16.
Atlético Madrid suffered a shock 2-1 extra-time defeat in the Copa del Rey to third-tier side Cultural Leonesa, whose upset victory secured a place in the last 16 on Thursday.
Cultural come from behind to dump Atlético out
A late equaliser from Cultural's Julen Castañeda cancelled out Ángel Correa's opener for Atleti before the extra period saw dramatic scenes when Sergio Benito volleyed the winner.
Vitolo missed the best opening of the first period for the away side, poking wide from João Félix's through ball, but Correa made no mistake just past the hour mark when he latched onto the Portugal forward's flick to put Atlético ahead.
Increíble— Cultural y Deportiva Leonesa (@CyDLeonesa) January 23, 2020
Castañeda levels, before Benito bags winner
The visitors pressed for a second and Cultural were indebted to goalkeeper Lucas Giffard for keeping them in the game with a string of fine saves before Castañeda smashed home an equaliser six minutes from the end to send the game into extra time.
The Reino de León stadium was then sent into delirium as Benito volleyed the ball in at the far post after 108 minutes to earn the Segunda B outfit a spot in Friday's draw.
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO Barcelona vs Real Madrid possible starting line-ups
- SOCCER Barcelona's Piqué talks to El País about retirement, Messi, Clásico
- PREMIER LEAGUE Cristiano Ronaldo vows to silence critics and win trophies at Manchester United
- LIGUE 1 Marseille vs PSG: times, TV and how to watch online
- MLB Dodgers vs. Braves commentary, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands