Al-Shabab sign Sevilla's Éver Banega
The Saudi Arabian club, who are coached by Spaniard Luis García Plaza, announced on Twitter that they have signed the 31-year-old Argentine midfielder.
Saudi Arabian club Al-Shabab, who are coached by Luis García Plaza, announced on Twitter that they have signed Éver Banega on a three-year deal. The news broke almost at the same time as Sevilla posted their starting XI for last night's game against Granada - a game which Banega missed through suspension. The Argentinean midfielder will join his new club in June when his contract with Sevilla expires.
Sevilla surprised by Banega decision
Sources at Sevilla initially denied any knowledge of the matter - even though the player has been at liberty to negotiate with other clubs from 1 January as he has entered the final six months of his contract. However, both Sevilla and Banega stated that the plan was to agree a contract extension although talks reached a stalemate some time ago.
Banega is a first-choice for Julen Lopetegui and one of the leading figures within the Sevilla dressing room. After the Granada game, the coach only had positive things to say about "an excellent and highly professional player". Lopetegui added, "Obviously we would love him to stay but it's a personal decision and I wish him all the best. He'll be with us for these next six months and I'm sure he's going to help us become a better team".
Recommended in English
- SOCCER Which players have won the most Ballons d'Or?
- BALLON D'OR When did Cristiano Ronaldo win his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats
- BALLO D'OR When did Messi win all of his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats
- NFL Mac Jones continues his case as best rookie QB of the season
- NFL Cam Newton’s dreams of being Panthers savior shattered
- SOCCER 2021 Ballon d'Or awards ceremony: times, TV, how to watch and stream