Wales to be without Joe Allen at Euro 2020, Stoke confirm
Midfielder Joe Allen ruptured an Achilles tendon during Saturday's 5-1 win over Hull City and will not be able to play for Wales at Euro 2020.
Michael O'Neill said it was devastating to hear that Stoke City midfielder Joe Allen will miss Wales' Euro 2020 campaign after being stretchered off in Saturday's home game against Hull City.
Joe Allen out for the rest of the season
Allen ruptured an Achilles tendon during the first half of Saturday's 5-1 Championship victory over Hull City at the bet365 Stadium. The 29-year-old will sit out the rest of the domestic season and will be unavailable to Ryan Giggs as Wales attempt to emulate their achievements of four years ago, when they reached the semi-finals in France.
🗣 "It’s devastating for us and devastating for the boy. Not only will he miss the rest of the season but obviously miss EURO 2020 as well."#SCFC 🔴⚪— Stoke City FC (@stokecity) March 9, 2020
"It's devastating for us and devastating for the boy. Not only will he miss the rest of the season but obviously miss Euro 2020 as well," O'Neill said via Stoke's website. "He's a great lad and when you're a coach and a manager you want the good lads to get the rewards and do well in the game. Joe's a low-maintenance player but a high-output player. I know what it means for him to play for Wales and obviously we [Northern Ireland] played them in 2016 as well and he had a fantastic tournament then. I'm sure he would have been looking forward to the finals and a chance for him to show again that he's a top, top international player, which he's proven to be in the past. It's taken a bit of the shine away for me. I kind of feel like I did when Chris Brunt got injured before Euro 2016 and missed it. These things don't come around often in players' careers so when it's taken away from them cruelly with injury it's not very nice."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: gymnastics all-around final, Caeleb Dressel 100m free swimming final, medal count, results, today 29 July
- OLYMPICS | GYMNASTICS What does Simone Biles eat? The diet of an Olympic medalist
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GOLF Since when has golf been an Olympic sport and why?
- Lollapalooza 2021 Lollapalooza 2021: line-up, times and how to watch and stream
- LOLLAPALOOZA 2021 Lollapalooza 2021: covid rules and restrictions
- Stimulus Checks $1000 stimulus check for educators: how to claim it if I haven't received it