Coronavirus: Busquets casts doubt on LaLiga season resuming
Barcelona might be top of the league but Sergio Busquets thinks it will be tough to get the Spanish domestic season underway again.
Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets has cast doubt on LaLiga's 2019-20 season being resumed despite lockdown measures being eased in Spain.
LaLiga has been suspended indefinitely since March as part of measures to combat the spread of coronavirus, which has affected the country badly.
Spain has registered most coronavirus cases in Europe
Spain has the highest number of confirmed Covid-19 cases in Europe with 180,659, while there have been close to 19,000 confirmed deaths.
However, some of the government's strict lockdown measures have started to be relaxed, with more people permitted to return to work this week as the number of new infections continues to drop.
"I don't think it can be done" - Busquets on LaLiga resumption
LaLiga president Javier Tebas has suggested the competition could return as early as the end of next month, but Busquets is not convinced it will be possible to conclude the 2019-20 season.
"I think it'll be difficult to resume," he told Cadena COPE and Onda Cero. "I don't think it can be done.
"At first, I wanted to see how it evolved and now it seems we've reached the peak. I'm waiting for good news. I think it will be difficult to resume because of travel, getting everyone together. That will be the problem."
Barça were top of the table, two points above Real Madrid, when the league was put on hold.
Te recomendamos en English
- JUVENTUS Juventus player Arthur Melo involved in car crash
- OLYMPICS Team USA will require vaccinations for Winter Olympics hopefuls
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano: what will happen when the lava reaches the Atlantic Ocean?
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Why have some parents not received the Child Tax Credit payment; how to claim it?
- Leagues Cup Final Seattle Sounders vs. Club León live updates: scores, stats, and updates | Leagues Cup Final
- Towns stunned after Timberwolves fire president of basketball ops