Real Madrid's Courtois: Awarding Barcelona LaLiga would be unfair
Thibaut Courtois says he would feel hard done by if the Covid-19 crisis led to Real Madrid's rivals being declared champions of an unfinished LaLiga season.
Real Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois says it would be unfair on Los Blancos if LaLiga were cancelled and Barcelona awarded the title as a result of the coronavirus crisis.
Barça were two points clear of arch rivals Madrid when LaLiga was suspended in March due to the pandemic, which has registered around 220,000 cases and 25,000 deaths in Spain.
Real Madrid have proved that they're better than Barcelona, says Courtois
“We’re only two points off Barcelona and in the hunt to win the title, so it would be bad luck if the season were cancelled,” Courtois told an interview with Belgian TV.
“If it were decided that Barcelona are champions, I don’t think it would be fair. We’ve drawn with them in one game and beaten them in the other [in LaLiga this season]. We’ve shown that we’re a better team than them.”
He added: “When it comes to Liverpool and the Premier League, it would be a different matter - I could understand that, because they’re I don’t know how many points ahead of second.”
"I think we should complete the season"
Courtois is keen for the campaign to be completed, but concedes that football can only resume if the conditions are right.
“I think we should complete the season, but of course safety is the most important thing. We have to observe protective measures and be 100% sure before playing, because you can be infected without showing symptoms.
“So you have to be careful who you have contact with. What happens if there’s an infected player in another team? These are things that have to be considered, but I’d love to complete the season.”
Live coverage of the coronavirus crisis
Te recomendamos en English
- US Election 2020 USA Election 2020: is it mandatory to vote and can I be fined?
- US Election 2020 What's Trump's plan to improve the economy, provide stimulus and lower unemployment?
- US Election 2020 USA Election 2020: what does a ballot look like?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Check Second stimulus check: could it be higher than $1,200?
- UNITED STATES USA elections 2020 live online updates: Trump - Biden, polls, stimulus checks, latest news
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live online updates: cases, deaths, stimulus checks and latest news