Werner publicly rejects Bayern Munich, shocks Rummenigge
It takes a lot to stun Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, but striker Timo Werner's comments about Bayern Munich left him discombobulated.
Striker Timo Werner's public rejection of a move to Bayern Munich - saying he would prefer a move abroad over a switch to the German champions - has shocked Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, who admitted he had never before seen such a statement.
RB Leipzig striker Werner has been heavily linked to some of Europe's top clubs, including Liverpool and Bayern, having racked up 71 Bundesliga goals in four seasons, including 21 from 25 games in the top flight in 2019-20. The heavy betting was in fact on the 24-year-old making the move to Bayern coming into this season, but with that not having happened, this month he revealed he would prefer a move abroad over a switch to the German champions.
Aghast Rummenigge responds
That has prompted a taken aback Rummenigge to respond.
"Nothing actually amazes me anymore, but I have never seen a player make a statement like this in response to rumours in public," Rummenigge said to Sport Bild.
Werner signed a three-year extension with Leipzig in August when his mooted move to Bayern did not materialise.
Ralf Rangnick, Werner's former boss at Leipzig, urged him to think long and hard about whether a move away from the club, now coached by Julian Nagelsmann, might reduce his playing opportunities.
Werner and Liverpool: a good fit
Rangnick, though, did concede the Germany international may fit in well with European champions Liverpool.
Nagelsmann's men return to action on Saturday with a home match against Freiburg, as the Bundesliga resumes behind closed doors amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Leipzig sit third with nine games to play, five points adrift of leaders Bayern, with Robert Lewandowski the only player sitting above Werner in the scoring charts.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds