Coronavirus: Texas reports jump in cases after reopening state
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott reopened the state on 1 May and two weeks later more than 1,000 new cases of Covid-19 have been reported.
On 1 May Texas Gov. Greg Abbott started to reopen the state amid the coronavirus pandemic and for the eight day in a row there have been more than 1,000 new coronavirus cases reported. The Texas Health Department of State Health Services (DSHS) reported a total of 45,198 confirmed cases, an increase of 1,347 from Thursday.
So far Texas has recorded 56 new deaths related to Covid-19 and the state now has a total of 1,272 fatalities during the pandemic. As of 1 May Texas has allowed some businesses to reopen as part of the first phase of restarting the economy.
Texas ramps up Covid-19 testing
Texas is seeing the highest number of new coronavirus cases and deaths just two weeks after it officially reopened. @JohnKingCNN explores the trend in Texas as the debate on risk of reopening continues.https://t.co/5fvdaNxmba pic.twitter.com/pSV0U8fd1q— CNN Newsroom (@CNNnewsroom) May 15, 2020
Retail outlets, malls, libraries and restaurants have welcomed back customers but those who decided to open had their occupancy rate capped at 25%. Since reopening the economy the daily total of fatalities is just two shy of the record number of daily Texas deaths attributed to Covid-19, which was also set last Thursday.
Over the last three days DSHS has reported an average of nearly 36,000 new Covid-19 tests and the number of positives has fallen to a cumulative total of 7% compared to a month ago when 10% of tests were coming back as positive.
Coronavirus cases have been reported in 222 of Texas’ 254 counties and increasingly nursing home residents have tested positive for coronavirus. More than 3,000 people in Texas nursing homes have cnotracted Covid-19 and 490 have died, while 494 recovered.
- When does the Senate vote on the Heroes Act?
- Second stimulus check: how many people would get it?
- How the Heroes Act would affect student loans
Live coverage of the coronavirus crisis
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE Coronavirus US: Pfizer vs Moderna vaccine side effects
- US News How have vaccine lotteries impacted vaccination rates?
- Copa America Who won the last Copa America and which country has the most titles?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Why are there 5 Olympic rings and what they stand for?
- TAX REFUND 2021 tax refund: why have I not received my payment?
- E3 2021 Nintendo Direct conference & Treehouse at E3 2021: times, stream online, and how to watch