Second stimulus check: why 8 August is likely date for approval of second payment
Why unemployed Americans anxiously waiting for politicians to agree on a second stimulus payment will likely have to wait until 8 August.
More than 150 million Americans have now received their $1,200 stimulus check as part of the $2.2 trillion CARES Act passed in mid-March to boost the economy amid the coronavirus crisis, with around 35 million still waiting for their payments to arrive.
Many have already spent this money on rent, bills and food and demand is high for a second round of payments. But for that to happen, lawmakers must pass a second bill, something which will not prove to be easy as Democrats and Republicans struggle to agree on a new stimulus plan.
In May, the Democratic-controlled house passed the $3 trillion HEROES Act, which would see eligible out-of-work Americans receive another $1,200 one of stimulus payment (although more people would be eligible this time around, and there would be more money available for dependent children). The bill, however, is unlikely to be passed by the Republican-majority senate, where some party members and U.S. President Donald Trump have hailed it as “dead on arrival” and so far refused to debate it.
- Stimulus check: how do I know it is not a fraudulent call?
- Coronavirus: What states require quarantine after flying into?
- $4,000 Travel Tax Credit: proposal published for coronavirus aid package for tourism industry
- Can I get $4,000 credit if I've already received stimulus check?
- Trump appears to confirm second stimulus check plans
Although, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has not ruled out the possibility of a second round of stimulus funding, with Republicans favoring a more moderate $1 trillion stimulus plan over the Democrat’s $3 trillion proposal.
President Trump, meanwhile, has shown his support for the ‘Explore America’ scheme, under which Americans would receive up to $4,000 in tax credits on domestic travel expenses in a bid to boost the flailing U.S. tourism industry. This, it should be remembered, is not a stimulus check.
Why August 8 is likely date for second bill passing
Unemployed Americans anxiously waiting for politicians to agree on a second stimulus bill will likely have to wait until August 8, as that is the last day before the Senate will take a month-long recess until September 8.
If lawmakers near the August recess with no advance on proposals for a second stimulus check, it can be assumed that the matter will likely be shelved until they return to work in September, which will leave many struggling Americans in biting their nails and wondering if the second payment will ever be approved.
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 NBA Skills Challenge: which players will participate in the 2021 edition?
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 Does NBA League Pass include NBA All-Star 2021?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming & when it could pass Senate vote, IRS tax return | Live
- 2021 TAX FILING Has the IRS already started refunding tax return 2021?
- NFL Denver Broncos: Stay locked on Drew or hand keys to a rookie QB?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK How to claim a missing stimulus check on your 2020 tax return