Villarreal: Emery named new head coach of LaLiga club
Unai Emery, who was sacked as Arsenal boss in November, has replaced Javier Calleja at LaLiga club Villarreal.
Villarreal have announced the appointment of Unai Emery as their new head.
Emery signs three-year contract at Villarreal
The former Arsenal, Paris Saint-Germain and Sevilla boss has signed a three-year deal with the club, who finished fifth in LaLiga in 2019-20.
It is Emery's first job since he was sacked by the Gunners last November following a run of just one win in nine games in all competitions.
He succeeded Arsène Wenger at Emirates Stadium in 2018 but failed to secure a return to the Champions League, losing the Europa League final 4-1 to Chelsea last year.
Emery's predecessor Calleja "hurt" over Villarreal departure
Emery has replaced Javier Calleja, who left Villarreal at the end of the league season despite leading them to a Europa League return.
"I don't t hold any grudge but I'm hurt," he told El Transistor. "Now it's the turn of Unai Emery and I hope he takes them as high as possible.
"I'm hurt by the way this has happened. I would have done it differently."
Villarreal lost three of their final five games of the season but had previously been on a six-game unbeaten run, which propelled them back into contention for Europe.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Gonzalo Higuaín returned to the MLS Team of the Week
- LALIGA SANTANDER Coutinho reaches 100, but Barcelona won't pay Liverpool variable
- SOCCER | BARCELONA Koeman: Clasico Barcelona fans incident reflects "social issues"
- NBA | BULLS Bulls 'want to win now' after following in Michael Jordan's footsteps with 4-0 start
- MLB When was the last time the Astros and Braves won the World Series?
- WORLD SERIES Who are the MLB World Series winners by year?