Real Madrid: Mariano self-isolating after testing positive for coronavirus
The striker tested positive in Monday's control in Valdebebas. He has been isolated from the rest of the group and will miss the Manchester City game.
Real Madrid striker Mariano has tested positive for coronavirus and is self-isolating at home. He must remain in quarantine until he gives two consecutive negative tests within a 24-hour period, the definitive way of determining whether the virus has been eliminated from the body naturally and that there is no risk of spreading it to other members of the squad. The striker will almost certainly miss the Champions League Last 16 tie against Manchester City on 7 August.
The Real Madrid squad, who had enjoyed a week's holiday after clinching the league title, were due back Valdebebas on Monday to undergo a routine PCR test. The players, coaching staff and members of the press department all underwent coronavirus tests yesterday but separately, at their own homes... While they were on holiday, the players were not strictly monitored by the club's medical team which is why Monday's tests were so important - and more so after what is happening with Fuenlabrada.
Real Madrid players tested for coronavirus
Monday' tests were conducted individually and were staggered - each player was given an appointment in the most hygienic setting possible to avoid infecting other members of the squad. Now we must wait and see whether other players have been infected or not. The club's medical team will continue closely supervising all of the players in a bid to avoid a situation like what we have seen with Fuenlabrada.
The club made an official announcement just before 14:00 hours: "After the COVID-19 tests carried out yesterday on our first team footballers by the Real Madrid Medical Services, our player Mariano, tested positive. The player is in perfect health and is complying with the protocol of isolation at home.".
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and child tax credit live updates: is a new payment coming? Opt-out, eligibility, tax refund...
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 31 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 schedule today, July 31: events, sports, times, and how to watch
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo 2021: Simone Biles pulls out of vault and bars finals
- OLYMPIC GAMES Connor Fields suffered brain bleed in BMX crash, out of ICU
- OLYMPIC GAMES South Korea U23 vs Mexico U23 live online: scores, stats and updates | Olympic men's soccer