Sterling joins Man City's 100 club with opener against Real Madrid
Manchester City were gifted an opener against Real Madrid, with Raheem Sterling netting his 100th goal for the club in the process.
Raheem Sterling moved on to 100 goals for Manchester City after he put Pep Guardiola's side ahead against Real Madrid in the Champions League.
Sterling opened the scoring nine minutes into Friday's last-16 second leg, finishing in composed fashion after Gabriel Jesus pounced on Raphael Varane's mistake.
It put City 3-1 up on aggregate and took Sterling to a century of goals for the club.
The 25-year-old is the 17th player to achieve the feat for City, though he is the first Englishman to reach triple figures since Dennis Tueart in 1981.
100 - Raheem Sterling has scored his 100th goal in all competitions for Manchester City, becoming the first Englishman to reach three figures for the club since Dennis Tueart in 1981. Books. #UCL pic.twitter.com/BLjWjXmlyk— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) August 7, 2020
Sterling, who went close to a second moments after his opener before Karim Benzema equalised, is also the sixth English player to score at least 20 Champions League goals – following Wayne Rooney, Paul Scholes, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard and Harry Kane.
Only Rooney – aged 24 years and 157 days – reached the total at a younger age than the City forward.
Recommended in English
- Real Madrid Real Madrid: The reasons behind Gareth Bale's rupture with the club and the fans
- SOCCER Xabi Alonso: "Winning Euro 2008 with Spain shut Carragher up..."
- PREMIER LEAGUE Klopp cheers world class Mané ahead of Southampton reunion
- NBA | PELICANS Pelicans All-Star Zion Williamson cleared for full team activities
- NBA | SUNS Streaking Suns keeping eyes on NBA prize as record looms
- NBA Curry salutes Klay Thompson after latest Warriors masterclass