Sterling joins Man City's 100 club with opener against Real Madrid
Manchester City were gifted an opener against Real Madrid, with Raheem Sterling netting his 100th goal for the club in the process.
Raheem Sterling moved on to 100 goals for Manchester City after he put Pep Guardiola's side ahead against Real Madrid in the Champions League.
Sterling opened the scoring nine minutes into Friday's last-16 second leg, finishing in composed fashion after Gabriel Jesus pounced on Raphael Varane's mistake.
It put City 3-1 up on aggregate and took Sterling to a century of goals for the club.
The 25-year-old is the 17th player to achieve the feat for City, though he is the first Englishman to reach triple figures since Dennis Tueart in 1981.
100 - Raheem Sterling has scored his 100th goal in all competitions for Manchester City, becoming the first Englishman to reach three figures for the club since Dennis Tueart in 1981. Books. #UCL pic.twitter.com/BLjWjXmlyk— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) August 7, 2020
Sterling, who went close to a second moments after his opener before Karim Benzema equalised, is also the sixth English player to score at least 20 Champions League goals – following Wayne Rooney, Paul Scholes, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard and Harry Kane.
Only Rooney – aged 24 years and 157 days – reached the total at a younger age than the City forward.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS How can I register to vote in New Jersey?
- USMNT Christian Pulisic is ‘really suffering’ after ankle injury setbacks
- MLS Landon Donovan rejects the Real Salt Lake managerial job
- SOCCER Barcelona close to agreeing new Ansu Fati contract - Koeman
- NBA Milwaukee Bucks 21/22: roster, new signings, cuts and trades
- NBA Los Angeles Lakers 21/22: roster, new signings, cuts and trades