Koeman wants Depay to replace Luis Suárez at Barcelona
Ronald Koeman has communicated his keen interest in Depay to Barcelona's sporting directors, for whom the Lyon striker would be a more affordable option than Lautaro Martínez.
Ronald Koeman has identified Memphis Depay as the striker to rejuvenate Barcelona's attack, according to a report by radio station RAC1.
The new Barça coach sees the 26-year-old Dutch attacker as the man to replace Luis Suárez, who has been tipped as one of the players close to the Camp Nou exit door. Although, the 33-year-old Uruguayan has one year left on his contract and his camp have emphatically rejected that he will leave this summer.
However, Koeman is steadfast in moving forward with his new project and Barcelona’s sporting direction are taking serious note of the players he wants to bring in.
Depay a more affordable option than Lautaro
Currently plying his trade at Olympique Lyon, Depay is known for being a fast, physical and versatile forward who can also play on the wings. The 26-year-old Dutchman would also be a much more affordable option than Inter Milan’s Lautaro Martínez, who, up to now, has been the number one target for Barcelona’s sporting directors.
Depay has a contract until 2021, meaning Barcelona would look to pay no more than €40 million, taking into account that the player could leave on a free transfer next summer.
Barcelona also eyeing Van de Beek
A second target of Koeman is another Dutchman, Ajax midfielder, Donny van de Beek, who has long been heavily linked with Real Madrid.
Van de Beek has spoken of a possible move to Madrid in the past, but the presence of Koeman on the Barça bench could sway him towards the Catalan capital. At 23 years old, Van de Beek is one of the great promises of Dutch football and could come in to replace Ivan Rakitic, whose days at the club are numbered.
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO How many times has Barcelona won against Real Madrid without Messi?
- NFL Denver Broncos 14 vs Cleveland Browns 17 summary: score, highlights | NFL Week 7
- NFL Congress demands answers from the NFL about WFT investigation
- US NEWS How could Alec Baldwin have killed Halyna Hutchins with a prop firearm?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?