NASA warns asteroid is heading towards Earth right before US elections
The asteroid, known as 2018VP1, was first identified by the Palomar Observatory in California in 2018 and is projected to pass near our planet the day before the US elections.
Just when you thought 2020 couldn’t get any worse, NASA has announced that an asteroid is heading towards earth.
If the coronavirus pandemic, record unemployment, a U.S. economy in tatters and countrywide civil unrest weren’t enough, the announcement by NASA will have many Americans wondering what’s next in store during one of the worst years in living memory.
And as faith would have it, the asteroid in question is predicted to come close to earth one day before the US presidential elections.
The asteroid, known as 2018VP1, was first identified by the Palomar Observatory in California in 2018 and is projected to pass near our planet on November 2, according to the Center for Near Earth Objects Studies at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
Asteroid 2018VP1 is very small, approx. 6.5 feet, and poses no threat to Earth! It currently has a 0.41% chance of entering our planet’s atmosphere, but if it did, it would disintegrate due to its extremely small size.— NASA Asteroid Watch (@AsteroidWatch) August 23, 2020
Asteroid poses no threat, says NASA
But if President Donald Trump was hoping for an excuse to delay November’s elections, this will not be it, as the asteroid poses no danger to earth.
"Asteroid 2018VP1 is very small, approximately 6.5 feet, and poses no threat to Earth. If it were to enter our planet's atmosphere, it would disintegrate due to its extremely small size," NASA said in a statement.
"NASA has been directed by Congress to discover 90% of the near-Earth asteroids larger than 140 meters (459 feet) in size and reports on asteroids of any size."
NASA said that the chance of the asteroid hitting the earth is about 0.41%, as data shows.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim
- US NEWS Covid vaccine in the US live updates today: J&J vaccine recall, blood clots, Fauci statements, My Turn...
- ROYAL FAMILY Prince Philip Funeral: what happened at the Duke of Edinburgh's Windsor ceremony?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK $600 Golden State Stimulus check: when are they being sent?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check for veterans: how to track and claim a missing payment
- MLS Carlos Vela gets mad at Bob Bradley for taking him off too early