RFEF consider making Sergio Ramos Spain's Olympic team captain
Spain's Football Federation (RFEF) are seriously considering offering Sergio Ramos a place in their Olympic team for next summer's event in Tokyo.
The Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) are seriously considering offering Sergio Ramos a place in the Olympic team which will compete at next summer's event in Tokyo as a reward for the defender's career with the national team and Real Madrid.
Ramos closing in on European and world appearances records
Ramos, who holds the appearances record with Spain with 172 caps is in the Top 10 ranking of players who have played the most games at full international level and is just four games away from equalling the European appearances record which is held by legendary Italian goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon. He is 12 games away from pulling level with the player who holds the world record for international appearances, Egypt's Ahmed Hassan, and that is within reach for Ramos, who will turn 35 in March.
Ramos' objective, if he can remain physically fit and injury-free, is to continue playing until he is 40 - as he himself has confessed on numerous occasions. At the moment, he also has an offer to join David Beckham's Inter Miami once he decided to quit playing at the top level in Europe.
RFEF president Luis Rubiales and Director of Sport José Francisco Molina, have spoken seriously about Ramos' wish to wear the captain's armband with Spain at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics. Boh agree that the final decision will be left to Olympic and Under-21 team coach, Luis de la Fuente, who doesn't want to be remembered as the person who blocked Sergio Ramos from realizing his Olympic dream - apart from which he is a great admirer of the Real Madrid captain as a player.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPICS Team USA vs Spain 2021 Tokyo Olympics live updates: score, stats, highlights
- OLYMPIC GAMES How does sport climbing work at the Olympics? Rules, format and score system
- OLYMPICS GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 2 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles returns for gymnastic's balance beam finals: times, TV, and how to watch 2021 Olympics
- TRAVEL Which countries are in the ‘Level 4: Do not travel' category?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER The USWNT will play against Australia for bronze