Argentina: Lautaro Martínez hails team's character in Bolivia win
After Argentina earned their first win in La Paz since 2005, striker Lautaro Martínez praised the heart and attitude shown by Lionel Scaloni's men.
Argentina striker Lautaro Martínez lauded the Albiceleste's character after their 2-1 victory over Bolivia in World Cup qualifying on Tuesday.
Joaquín Correa scored a 79th-minute winner for Lionel Scaloni's men, who made it two wins from two to begin their qualifying campaign.
Martínez on target in Argentina's first win in La Paz in 15 years
It marked Argentina's first victory in Bolivia since 2005 as they claimed an important win in the altitude of La Paz.
Martínez, who became the first Argentina player not called Lionel Messi to score in a World Cup qualifier since November 2016 when he cancelled out Marcelo Martins Moreno's opener, was delighted.
"We knew the game was going to be like this. I think this team today showed a lot of heart and a lot of head," the Inter forward said. "We are very happy."
Martínez added: "We had thought about what this game meant for us because of the history. We are not going to deny that it is difficult to play here, it changes a lot."
Martínez also set up Correa's winner as Argentina backed up their narrow victory over Ecuador.
Scaloni praises Argentina substitutes' role in win
Argentina coach Scaloni was also pleased with his substitutes, with Correa among them as he netted his second international goal.
"With the changes we always try to improve," he said. "They gave us freshness and they came on to make a really good impact."
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Would a government shutdown in December completely stop fourth stimulus check negotiations?
- SOCIAL SECURITY Can you change your Social Security number for any reason?
- NFL Bucs' Antonio Brown banned for three games by NFL
- PREMIER LEAGUE Why has Michael Carrick left Manchester Utd?
- NFL How are the uniforms of the 2021 Army vs. Navy football game? Are they for sale?
- SOCCER With what teams has Cristiano Ronaldo scored career 800 goals?