Real Madrid endure worst Champions League first half since 2005
Visitors Shakhtar Donetsk stunned Real Madrid on Wednesday, hitting three goals past the Spanish champions in a remarkable first half.
Real Madrid conceded three goals in the first half of a Champions League match for the first time in over 15 years as they went 0-3 behind to Shakhtar Donetsk at the Di Stéfano on Wednesday evening.
Shakhtar do demolition job on Real Madrid
Despite missing 10 first-team players due to positive coronavirus tests or injury, Shakhtar ran riot in the opening half of the Group B clash in Madrid. Their three goals came in the space of 13 minutes, with Teté sliding an assured finish into the bottom-left corner to break the deadlock just before the half-hour. Raphaël Varane scored an own goal four minutes later, with Manor Solomon then making it 0-3 from Teté's neat backheel.
It meant Madrid let in three first-half goals in the Champions League for the first time since September 2005, in their Matchday 1 meeting with Olympique Lyon at Stade de Gerland.
3 - Real Madrid have conceded three first half goals in a Champions League match for the first time since September 2005 vs Lyon, while this is the first time it has happened at home in the competition since February 2000 vs Bayern Munich. Shocker. pic.twitter.com/B5gCvaaDGF— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) October 21, 2020
Three first-half goals against Bayern 20 years ago
Madrid had not conceded three in the first 45 minutes of a home match in the competition since February 2000, against Bayern Munich.
Recommended in English
- Coronavirus Why did WHO skip letter Xi and name Omicron the new covid variant?
- NFL What is Dak Prescott contract with Dallas Cowboys? salary and duration
- US NEWS Shooting in Oxford, Michigan high school: how many victims and who is the suspect?
- CHRISTMAS NYC Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting: times, price tickets, TV and how to watch
- COVID-19 How many Covid-19 variants have been there besides Omicron? what are their differences?
- NFL Why are the Green Bay Packers called cheeseheads? What kind of cheese are the cheeseheads?