Premier League: James Rodríguez could now be fit for Everton
On Thursday the team's manager, Carlo Ancelotti, said that their Colombian star was going to be out after being injured against Liverpool. How quickly things change.
Everton are hopeful that their new playmaker, James Rodríguez, will be fit in time for Sunday's Premier League clash at Southampton, a day after manager Carlo Ancelotti said he expected the Colombia international to miss the match.
James Rodríguez "not definitely out"
Rodriguez sustained an injury during a challenge from Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk early in last weekend's Merseyside derby draw at Goodison Park, although he stayed on for the full 90 minutes.
Ancelotti had earlier suggested Rodriguez would be unable to face the Saints but on Friday confirmed the player had resumed partial training.
"He is not definitely out," Ancelotti told reporters. "Fortunately his recovery was really good and he trained today, just a partial training session.
"I hope he trains tomorrow and is in condition to play on Sunday. We are really confident he can maybe play."
Ancelotti said centre back Ben Godfrey, who made his Everton debut against Liverpool, will be deployed at right back against the Saints, with Jonjoe Kenny yet to recover from an ankle injury.
League leaders Everton are unbeaten this season, having recorded four wins and a draw against reigning champions Liverpool.
"The start was good, now there is a consistency to show every game," Ancelotti said.
"They (Southampton) are trying to play without the ball with high intensity, they are really compact. We have to be smart, we have to be clever with the ball. If we are, we could have chances to win the game."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER USWNT: How many Olympic medals does Carli Lloyd have?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Alexander-Arnold signs long-term extension with Liverpool
- OLYMPIC GAMES | TRACK AND FIELD How many olympic medals has Allyson Felix won in her career?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER USWNT 2(4)-2(2) Netherlands summary: score, goals, highlights | Tokyo Olympics 2020
- Olympic Games Zverev sorry for sinking Djokovic's Golden Slam hopes