SEVILLA 0-1 REAL MADRID
Real Madrid boss Zidane reflects on "tough last few days"
Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane spoke after his side's crucial victory away to Sevilla, and highlighted his relief for the boys who'd had a tough few days.
Zinedine Zidane spoke to the media after his Real Madrid side took all three points at the Sánchez Pizjuán with a 0-1 victory over Julen Lopetegui’s Sevillla. With key games ahead against Borussia Mönchengladbach midweek and then a local derby against an impressive Atlético, this came as a massive relief.
Sevilla 0-1 Real Madrid: Zidane reflects on important win
'We've earned three very important points but the most important thing is the performance,' Zidane began. 'From the first minute to the last we were excellent, even though we had to suffer a bit in the second half. This was a hugely deserved win over a top opponent, a side who can have you against the ropes at any moment.
'We overcame that and I'm very pleased for the players.'
Real Madrid news:
Zidane, who led Real to the Spanish title last season, had to swallow speculation during the week that president Florentino Pérez was looking to sack him after their poor start to the campaign.
While the victory over Sevilla was an important first step on Madrid's road to recovery, Zidane recognised there would be no let-up for his side.
Real need to beat Borussia Moenchengladbach on Wednesday to guarantee their place in the Champions League knockout stage and then they face city rivals and LaLiga frontrunners Atlético Madrid.
'The last few days have been very tough but this team has a lot of character and loves challenges. Today's victory is very important for what is coming next,' he added.
'We know that whenever we don't play well there will be criticism but we have to focus on the positives and keep trying to be consistent. But we can't worry about what people say about us because that's not going to change.'
(h/t Richard Martin)
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 29 July
- GOLD CUP Mexico vs Canada, Gold Cup semi-final: how to watch - times, TV, online
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 29 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS Simone Biles suffers twisties: What are they? How do they affect gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness