Club América signs new manager Santiago Solari
The most successful club in Mexican soccer has signed Santiago Solari to manage the team for the 2021 Guardianes tournament. This will be his first job in the Liga MX.
Club América wanted to end the year knowing who their manager will be for the 2021 Guardianes tournament after parting ways with Miguel Herrera. The club have confirmed that Santiago Solari will manage the team for the next tournament and this will be his first job after managing Real Madrid for a short spell from November 2018 to March 2019.
The most successful club in Mexican soccer parted ways with Miguel Herrera on 21 December after losing both playoff games against their eternal rivals Chivas and then losing to LAFC in the semifinal of the 2020 CONCACAF Champions League earlier this month.
As a player Santiago Solari had an important career with Real Madrid and Inter Milan among others. He won a total of 13 major titles with the two afrorementioned clubs and began working as a head coach in 2013. Solari spent several years managing the Real Madrid youth teams before being given the opportunity to coach the first team after the club sacked Julen Lopetegui in October 2018. He was eventually dismissed himself after a short spell in charge in March 2019, ending with a 22-2-8 record.
América made the official announcement on Tuesday and his first official game will be against Atlético San Luis on 9 January 2021. It is not known the details of his contract, but he should arrive in the next couple days for his official presentation.
Recommended in English
- MLB Why is the MLB close to a lockout? What are the key issues?
- NFL Where does the Dallas Cowboys - New York Giants team rivalry comes from?
- NFL Who has the biggest NFL rivalry?
- US NEWS What services are likely to stop during a government shutdown?
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES Supreme Court on Roe v Wade live updates: arguments, Abortion Law, Mississippi...
- NFL Who are the 10 best Dallas Cowboy players of all time?