Real Madrid team news: Ramos, Varane, Chust
Real Madrid returned to training this Sunday to prepare for their opening Copa del Rey tie against Segunda Division B side Alcoyano on Wednesday.
Real Madrid returned to work after a two-and-a-half break that coach Zinedine Zidane gave to the squad following the defeat to Athletic Bilbao in the Spanish Super Cup semi-final last Thursday.
The biggest news from Sunday afternoon’s training session in Valdebebas was the absence of the two starting central defenders, Sergio Ramos and Raphael Varane.
Ramos limped off after the game against Athletic in Malaga, while Varane had to be substituted at half-time after receiving a heavy blow.
Neither player will be available for the Copa del Rey last-16 tie against Segunda Division B side Alcoyano. But Zizou is confident that he will be able to count on both players again for the league match against Alavés in Mendizorroza next Saturday.
Chust makes Real Madrid first team
Faced with these injuries, the French coach has called up Víctor Chust from the Castilla ranks. The Valencian-born central defender will serve as back-up to Nacho and Militao, who will likely start in central defence. Another Castilla player, midfielder Antonio Blanco, also trained with the first team and could be in line for minutes against Alcoyano on Wednesday.
Madrid will still have two more training sessions on Monday and Tuesday to prepare for their opening Copa del Rey fixture of the 2020/21 season – a game for which Zidane is likely to make several rotations.
Te recomendamos en English
- I can't name 10 clubs who could buy Haaland – Dortmund's Zorc disagrees with Raiola assessment
- BAYERN MUNICH Marvel Muller back in Bayern training after COVID isolation
- NBA LeBron and Lakers dealing with 'tough stretch' as Jazz set NBA record
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check: differences and similarities with the other two payments
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check: can the payment be approved in the House vote on Friday?
- GAMING PlayStation State of Play February: times, stream and how to watch for new PS4 & PS5 games