MLS

Orlando City defender Jonathan Suárez accused of sexual assault

The 24-year-old was arrested on Tuesday night after he and his brother allegedly raped a woman in their Kissimmee apartment this past weekend.

USA
0
Orlando City defender Jonathan Suárez accused of sexual assault

Jonathan Suárez and his brother Rafael Suárez were arrested on Tuesday night and taken to the Osceola County jail for allegedly raping a woman in their Kissimmee apartment. According to the report, the incident occurred on Sunday and the judge has set the bond at $20,000.

Charge of sexual battery

Suárez joined Orlando City SC on loan earlier this year and was included in the roster that will start pre-season in the next few days. Due to the news, the Major League Soccer franchise has decided to suspend the defender until the investigation is over.

“Orlando City SC defender Jonathan Suarez was arrested Tuesday night in connection with allegations of sexual battery. Suarez has been suspended pending investigations by MLS and the Osceola County Sheriff’s Office,” read the statement from the league.

“Major League Soccer will remain in close communication with the Orlando City SC, local law enforcement, and the MLS Players Association during this investigation. MLS will make further determinations concerning the player’s status as more information becomes available.”

According to an affidavit, the woman and her friend met with Suárez and his brother because they had a reservation at TopGolf on Universal Boulevard on Sunday at 4:30 p.m. They were all drinking for about two hours and returned to the Suárez brothers’ apartment, where they played beer pong.

The women says she then went to Rafael Suárez’ room to have consensual sex with him. Rafael then let Jonathan inside the room and as he entered he wanted “in on the fun,” said the affidavit. The woman said “no,” but Jonathan forced her to perform a sex act on him, even after she tried to pull away and told his brother to resume having sex with her.

The woman left with her friend, who the next day encouraged her to contact the police. She didn’t have the phone number of Jonathan or Rafael, so she showed the Osceola deputies their Instagram pages.

Now it will be up to the Orange-Osceola State Attorney’s Office to file formal charges against the brothers and the lesser charge under which he was granted bond carries the possibility of 15 years in state prison.