Ramos asks for 10 minutes more, Zidane ignores him
Sergio Ramos scored a penalty against Atalanta in Real Madrid's 3-1 win in the Champions League but he wanted to stay on the pitch for longer.
Sergio Ramos started again for Real Madrid in their Champions League last-16 second leg match against Atalanta on Tuesday night. That's his second start after a month recovering from surgery on the meniscus of his left knee, having started against Elche in LaLiga at the weekend. Despite his time out, there was no indication Ramos was off the pace - he shone in defence and up front scored the penalty to make it 2-0.
In the 64th minute, Zidane ordered Ramos' substitution, looking to keep him in shape after so long out, and brought on Militao. But it wasn't a substitution Ramos was happy about.
Ramos wanted to stay on against Atalanta
Just before the change, Ramos was seen pleading with Zidane with a gesture - his two hands up indicating he wanted 10 minutes more on the pitch. It looked as if Ramos and Zidane had agreed previously how long the Real Madrid captain was going to play for, given that Militao was warming up from the start of the second half, but right at the moment where the substitution was planned to take place Ramos wanted to stay on the pitch.
The Real Madrid coach paid no heed to Ramos' petition and sent Militao on, just after 60 minutes of the match, as planned. Ramos' hopes of staying on and adding to his playing time, as well as possibly his goal account (he's on four this season) were frustrated. Understandably, given that Zidane is sick to the back teeth of injuries and doesn't want to take any unnecessary risks, particularly not when leading 3-0 on aggregate in a game Real Madrid were controlling.
Te recomendamos en English
- Olympic Games Zverev sorry for sinking Djokovic's Golden Slam hopes
- Tax Refund How many Americans will receive the $1600 Tax refund payment?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Women´s 100m final, USA Basketball, medal count, results, today 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Henry Martín could miss Mexico’s game against South Korea
- OLYMPIC GAMES What's the top speed of a 100m sprinter?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS What are Usain Bolt's records on the Olympic track? 100m, 200m...