Butragueño: "Luka passed the ball, it didn't look like a foul..."
Real Madrid's Director of Institutional Relations was amazed at referee Melero López's decision to award a foul in a dangerous position late on.
Real Madrid's Director of Institutional Relations Emilio Butragueño chatted to Movistar LaLiga after this afternoon's win over Celta Vigo in Balaídos. He admitted being surprised at referee Melero López's decision to award the hosts a free-kick right on the edge of the box for a Luka Modric foul in the final moments of the game.
With eight minutes of normal time remaining, signalled a free-kick on the edge of Madrid's penalty area, in spite of the protests from Madrid players. Iago Aspas struck the ball which took a slight deflection off Casemiro which diverted it onto the post. Had it entered, the match would almost certainly have ended 2-2.
Thoughts on the win: "Our first 30 minutes were excellent. And we had the game under control in the second half. We could have killed the game off earlier. I saw every player battling for the full 90 minutes. Our rivals play too of course, but overall, everyone had a good game".
Modric foul: "Luka passed the ball. We were really surprised by that. Up in the box we looked at each other in amazement. And he was booked... Very strange. Knowing what he is like, his reaction says it all. He was as surprised as we were".
Renewing Karim Benzema's contract: "Today, he was decisive for us once again. His control for the first goal was stunning and for the other he placed the ball exactly where he needed to. He is a very complete player, the way he links up with his team mates... we are very lucky to have him and hopefully he keeps helping us like he has been doing".
Vinicius' efforts and criticism aimed at him: "It's a blessing to have a player with his speed. The move he was involved in in the second half... He's a very young player and we have a lot of hopes pinned on him".
Te recomendamos en English
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Can Child Tax Credit payments affect my tax return in 2022?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Who is Laurel Hubbard? Meet the transgender athlete breaking barriers at the Tokyo Olympics
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: JuVaughn Harrison, Jennifer Gadirova | medal count, results, today 1 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK California Golden State stimulus check: when is the new payment coming?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August