Alan Franco set to join Atlanta United
Independiente from Argentina and the Major League Soccer side have reached an agreement for the transfer of Alan Franco ahead of the 2021 season set to start in April.
Atlanta United have been fairly active in the transfer market after a disappointing season last year. The ‘Five Stripes’ is set to complete a successful negotiation with Independiente from Argentina to sign Alan Franco ahead of the start of the 2021 Major League Soccer season in mid-April.
The MLS side paid roughly $2.8 million for 50 percent of the player’s value. Independiente declined the offer from São Paulo FC that was worth $4 million and 80 percent of the defender’s future value. Franco will join new manager appointed Gabriel Heinze in Major League Soccer as the ‘Five Stripes’ wants to make another MLS Cup run this year.
Why did Independiente reject the Brazilian powerhouse offer?
Even though São Paulo FC was offering more money for Franco, the sum of money they were going to pay initially to Independiente was lower than that being offered by Atlanta United. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the team from Argentina needs as much money as possible as they are facing a financial crisis - hence why they accepted the $2.8 million from the MLS side.
Once the transfer is official, Franco will have to wait to get his P1-Visa and his International Transfer Certificate in order to join Atlanta United ahead of the 2021 Major League Soccer season that is set to start on 13 April against Orlando City. Prior to that game they will face Alajuelense in the round of 16 of the CONCACAF Champions league ina two-legged series on 6 and 13 April.
Recommended in English
- LIGA MX Atlas to face Pumas UNAM in the semi-final
- PRIMEIRA LIGA Covid-hit Belenenses SAD hammered by Benfica in forfeited game
- JUVENTUS Juventus confirm police probe into Serie A club's transfer dealings
- SOCCER Which players have won the most Ballons d'Or?
- BALLON D'OR When did Cristiano Ronaldo win his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats
- BALLO D'OR When did Messi win all of his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats