Cruz Azul defeat complicates Chivas playoffs hopes
The Guadalajara-based side desperately needed a victory against the top team of the 2021 Guardianes tournament to keep their playoffs hopes alive.
Chivas lost 1-0 against Cruz Azul at the Azteca stadium on matchday 14 and their playoff hopes are coming to an end with only three games of the regular season left. The result leaves Chivas in 15th place with 13 points and a record of 2-7-4. Chivas have not won in their last four games and it seems like they won’t be making it to the post-season this year.
Jonathan Rodríguez in top shape
The Uruguayan has scored 20 goals in 14 appearances for Cruz Azul and is in the running to win the Golden Boot. Jonathan Rodríguez served the killer blow to Chivas on Saturday and for Cruz Azul, the result means they will secure a top two finish regardless of their next three results in the 2021 Guardianes tournament.
Cruz Azul remain unbeaten in 12 games - they are the third team to win so many consecutive matches in Liga MX history. Necaxa (1935) and Club León (2019) are the other two clubs to have achieved the feat; ‘The Machine’ are in top form and have three more games to set a new record.
The team have a busy couple of weeks ahead of them. On Tuesday they will host Arcahaie for the second leg of the round of 16 of the CONCACAF Champions League, then on 17 April they will visit Club América for matchday 15; after that, they will host Atlético San Luis and finish the regular season against Club Tijuana on 1 May.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 24 July
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN How much money can you get from stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 24 July
- Olympic Games Since when is skate an olympic sport and why?
- OLYMPIC GAMES What is the USA basketball roster for the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USWNT bounce back in crushing 6-1 New Zealand win