Club América retain second place after victory against Tigres UANL
The ‘Eagles’ had a tough trip to Monterrey, but Santiago Solari's side managed to leave with the victory and three points on matchday 14.
Santiago Solari continues to demonstrate that he is fit to manage the most successful club in Mexican soccer. Club América had a tough trip to face Tigres UANL on matchday 14 of the 2021 Guardianes tournament and they demolished the home team. Roger Martínez had a superb performance and ended up with a brace.
The visiting team struck first
From the start, Club América had made clear that they were hungry for victory to remain in second place with three games left of the regular season. Roger Martínez gave the ‘Eagles’ the lead in the sixth minute of the game. The Colombian striker received the ball near the half-way line and beat several defenders, entering the box and placing the ball in the corner to give América the lead.
The ‘Eagles' doubled their lead in the second half. This time Pedro Aquino riffled the ball with his right foot to beat Tigres keeper, Nahuel Guzmán. The home team would attempt a late comeback, with Diego Reyes scoring in the 63rd minute of the game.
Roger Martínez man of the match
But once again Roger Martínez would have the last say. The Colombian striker scored his second goal of the night in the 69th minute to seal the victory and give América the victory and the three points. Santiago Solari's team remains in second place with 34 points, just two behind Cruz Azul Azul, with a record of 11-1-2.
Te recomendamos en English
- GOLF US dominates Europe to reclaim Ryder Cup
- CORONAVIRUS | VACCINES What is a religious exemption for the Covid-19 vaccine? Are any religions against the vaccine?
- US NEWS Would the government shutdown impact SNAP benefits?
- NFL What were the Bucs-Rams ratings | NFL Week 3
- SOCCER Arteta urges Arsenal consistency after derby win over Tottenham
- NBA NBA: Kyrie Irving, the covid-19 vaccine and the "plan of Satan"