Club América suffers third loss of the season against Toluca
The Eagles dropped points for their second consecutive match after their visit to Toluca on Sunday, but they remain in second place with one game left of the regular season.
Club América lost 3-1 against Toluca on Matchday 16 of the 2021 Guardianes tournament on Sunday at the Nemesio Diéz stadium. The Eagles were trailing 2-0 at the end of the first half, but in the 51st minute Emanuel Aguilera scored a penalty kick to close the gap.
The home team would bounce back from that little set back and in the 73rd minute Alexis Canelo scored the third goal for Toluca to secure the victory and the three points. The Argentine striker now tallies 44 goals in 147 Liga MX appearances and Toluca climbed up to seventh place and they are now in the playoff picture with one game left of the regular season.
Tough loss for manager Santiago Solari
This was the worst loss since Santiago Solari took over the managerial job earlier this year, but leaving aside this result, América has secured the second place going into the playoffs. The ‘Eagles’ have accumulated 35 points and have a record of 11-2-3 in the 2021 Guardianes tournament.
América will visit Pumas UNAM on 2 May for the last game of the regular season before they start preparing for the playoffs. Also for the first time in this tournament, Club América has dropped points in consecutive games, after they tied 1-1 against Cruz Azul on matchday 15.
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA NBA Draft Lottery: What time is it, TV channel, and how to watch it online today?
- NBA When was the last time the Bucks were in the Eastern NBA Conference Finals?
- US NEWS What is a primary election?
- US NEWS When are the NYC mayor elections held?
- Olympic Games How much do Olympic medals cost?
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: can it be approved in June? Tax refund, $3,600 Child Tax Credit portal...