Liga MX announces schedule for wildcard round
Santos, Club León, Pachuca, Atlas, Querétaro, Toluca, Tigres UANL and Chivas obtained their ticket to the wildcard round of the 2021 Guardianes tournament this weekend.
The 2021 Guardianes tournament regular season concluded this weekend and out of the 18 teams only 12 advanced to the playoffs. Cruz Azul (1), Club América (2), Puebla (3) and Monterrey (4) were the top four teams after 17 match days and they have secured a bye as they await their rivals.
Meanwhile, Santos Laguna (5), Club León (6), Atlas (7), Pachuca (8), Chivas (9), Tigres UANL (10), Toluca (11), Querétaro (12) have to play a wildcard round and on Monday the Liga MX confirmed the schedule for these single elimination matches.
On Saturday 8 May Santos Laguna (5) will host Querétaro (12) and Atlas (7) will face Tigres UANL (10) at the Jalisco stadium. On Sunday 9 May Club León (6) will host Toluca (11) and then Chivas (9) will visit Pachuca (8).
Cruz Azul the team to beat
Without a doubt the ‘Machine’ want to end their 24-year drought without winning the league title and after finishing in first place they will have home advantage throughout the playoffs.
Cruz Azul can also boast having the best striker, Jonathan Rodríguez, who has scored 22 goals to win the golden boot, and the best player, Luis Romo, who topped the assist list with 11 in 13 appearances.
Te recomendamos en English
- LIGUE 1 PSG's Mbappé backtracks over Lille title winning comments
- USMNT Jesse Marsch and Brenden Aaronson win Austrian league title with Salzburg
- BARCELONA Barcelona set to confirm Agüero signing at end of season
- NBA NBA: Hawks, Knicks seal playoff places as Nets' Harden returns
- COVID-19 VACCINE What has CDC said about covid vaccine for 12-15 year old kids?
- US News What did Liz Cheney say about Donald Trump and the Republican Party?