Liga MX announces schedule for wildcard round
Santos, Club León, Pachuca, Atlas, Querétaro, Toluca, Tigres UANL and Chivas obtained their ticket to the wildcard round of the 2021 Guardianes tournament this weekend.
The 2021 Guardianes tournament regular season concluded this weekend and out of the 18 teams only 12 advanced to the playoffs. Cruz Azul (1), Club América (2), Puebla (3) and Monterrey (4) were the top four teams after 17 match days and they have secured a bye as they await their rivals.
Meanwhile, Santos Laguna (5), Club León (6), Atlas (7), Pachuca (8), Chivas (9), Tigres UANL (10), Toluca (11), Querétaro (12) have to play a wildcard round and on Monday the Liga MX confirmed the schedule for these single elimination matches.
On Saturday 8 May Santos Laguna (5) will host Querétaro (12) and Atlas (7) will face Tigres UANL (10) at the Jalisco stadium. On Sunday 9 May Club León (6) will host Toluca (11) and then Chivas (9) will visit Pachuca (8).
Cruz Azul the team to beat
Without a doubt the ‘Machine’ want to end their 24-year drought without winning the league title and after finishing in first place they will have home advantage throughout the playoffs.
Cruz Azul can also boast having the best striker, Jonathan Rodríguez, who has scored 22 goals to win the golden boot, and the best player, Luis Romo, who topped the assist list with 11 in 13 appearances.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Ledecky going for gold, medal count, results, today 28 July
- Olympic Games Why are the 2021 Olympic Games called Tokyo 2020?
- OLYMPIC GAMES When are the 100m Olympic finals taking place?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles confirms she will be back for Team USA at the Games
- NEW YORK CITY Which New York City public pools are open for summer 2021?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA: why is the CDC recommending that vaccinated people wear masks indoors?