Gerardo Martino wanted to manage the USMNT
The Argentine manager thought he would be offered the United States men’s national team job after winning the 2018 MLS Cup with Atlanta United.
Gerardo Martino proved to be one of the best international managers to arrive in Major League Soccer. He became the first manager in the history of Atlanta United when they debuted in MLS in the 2017 season. One year later he won the MLS Cup in Atlanta’s second season.
After winning the 2018 Major League Soccer Cup, Gerardo Martino thought he would be offered the United States men’s national team managerial job that was vacant. The Argentine manager nicknamed ‘El Tata’ had a serious offer from the Mexico national team on the table, but he was waiting for the US Soccer federation to approach him.
After a few months, Martino never heard from the USMNT bosses and he decided to take the Mexico offer in January 2019. ‘El Tata’ has done an outstanding job with Mexico and his biggest accomplishment so far was defeating the USMNT 1-0 in the final of the 2019 Gold Cup to win his first international trophy.
Poor relationship with Atlanta United bosses
According to The Athletic, Gerardo Martino had a bad relationship with Atlanta United’s vice president Carlos Bocanegra during his time with the Five Stripes. He was appointed in September 2016 and by December their relationship was so bad that they almost parted ways.
The reason was because Bocanegra would not bring the players Martino requested for their debut season. Also the Atlanta United vice president would look for players without Martino’s consent.
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Will Amazon accept Bitcoin as a payment method?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 26 July
- Child Tax Credit $3000/$3600 Child Tax Credit: what are the IRS warnings about payment scams?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US: why does the Delta variant spread so fast?
- OLYMPIC GAMES How many surfing world titles has Carissa Moore won?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | TENNIS Who are Japanese tennis star Naomi Osaka's parents?