Gonzalo Higuaín is voted MLS Player of the Week for week 5
The Argentine striker scored a brace this past weekend to give Inter Miami CF the victory and the points against Cincinnati at the new TQL stadium.
Since arriving to Major League Soccer, Gonzalo Higuaín has been clear about his commitment to Inter Miami CF in addition to his main objective, to win the MLS Cup. The Argentine has played all five games of the 2021 MLS regular season and he has tallied four goals and one assist.
Inter Miami CF is having a ‘rocky’ start this season, but thanks to Higuaín the team managed by Phil Neville obtained their second victory this past weekend. The 33-year-old scored a brace (38’ and 85’) against Cincinnati at their new TQL stadium on Sunday to give Inter the victory and the much needed points.
Higuaín the best player of week 5
After his superb performance on Sunday, Gonzalo Higuaín was voted the Player of the Week for week 5 of the current MLS campaign. The Argentine became the first player in the history of Inter Miami to win this award in their second year in Major League Soccer.
With this result the team managed by Phil Neville climbed up to seventh place with 8 points and a record of 2-2-2 (W-D-L). The only two victories of the season by Inter have been thanks to a late goal from Higuaín, so after the game Neville praised the level that the Argentine is showing playing in the No 10 spot.
“I had to keep some kind of quality in that position,” Neville said. “Somebody who can make the pass and make that turn or half-turn link to play. It’s a position I see Gonzalo playing at the No. 10 position now that Julián Carranza is back. Julián is going to get a lot of minutes. He gives us another dimension when he comes on because it allows us to be a bit more aggressive in the press.”
Te recomendamos en English
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Unemployment benefits: can self-employed workers qualify for a new round of payments?
- BOXING Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk: fight card, TV & how to watch online
- OTHER SPORTS Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk: how much does the winner make?
- NFL Stafford give Rams slight edge in blockbuster Bucs clash
- NBA Clippers chief unsure if Kawhi Leonard will play this season
- NBA NBA denies Warriors star Wiggins' request for covid-19 vaccination exemption