England's Harry Kane tells racist fans they're not wanted
Bukayo Saka, Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho were abused online after missing penalties, but they have Harry Kane's backing.
Harry Kane has condemned the "vile racist abuse" Bukayo Saka, Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho received after the Euro 2020 final.
Kane: "you're not an England fan"
The three England players missed penalties in a 3-2 shoot-out defeat to Italy following a 1-1 draw at Wembley on Sunday.
Saka's spot-kick, saved by Gianluigi Donnarumma, was decisive, while Rashford and Sancho were introduced in the closing minutes of extra time in order to boost England's shoot-out hopes.
The trio have subsequently been the subject of racist abuse on social media, prompting an angry response from the Football Association and manager Gareth Southgate.
Three lads who were brilliant all summer had the courage to step up & take a pen when the stakes were high. They deserve support & backing not the vile racist abuse they’ve had since last night. If you abuse anyone on social media you’re not an @England fan and we don’t want you. pic.twitter.com/PgskPAXgxV— Harry Kane (@HKane) July 12, 2021
Teenaged team-mate Jude Bellingham said the abuse was "hurtful but not surprising", and England captain Kane has now responded.
"Three lads who were brilliant all summer had the courage to step up & take a pen when the stakes were high," he wrote on Twitter.
"They deserve support & backing not the vile racist abuse they've had since last night.
"If you abuse anyone on social media you're not an @England fan and we don't want you."
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Would a government shutdown in December completely stop fourth stimulus check negotiations?
- SOCIAL SECURITY Can you change your Social Security number for any reason?
- NFL Bucs' Antonio Brown banned for three games by NFL
- PREMIER LEAGUE Why has Michael Carrick left Manchester Utd?
- NFL How are the uniforms of the 2021 Army vs. Navy football game? Are they for sale?
- SOCCER With what teams has Cristiano Ronaldo scored career 800 goals?