LA Galaxy released USMNT star Matthew Hoppe in 2015
The 20-year-old played with the Los Angeles Galaxy academy during the 2014/15 campaign, before being released by the team.
Last season, Matthew Hoppe had a breakout season in his first year with Schalke 04 in the Bundesliga and he signed with La Liga side Mallorca on the last day of the summer transfer window. The United States international made his debut on matchday 5 against Villarreal in a 0-0 draw.
In that game, he came on in the 60th minute replacing Fer Niño, but was unable to help his team claim the three points. Hoppe made his debut as a starter last weekend in Mallorca’s 6-1 loss to Real Madrid. The United States international was replaced in the 59th minute at the Santiago Bernabéu stadium.
Hoppe could’ve played in MLS
▪️#LAGalaxy Academy le cortó— Jaime Ojeda (@jaimeor96) September 23, 2021
▪️Fue a la Barça Academy de AZ
▪️Rechazó la #NCAA por el Schalke
▪️Nunca lo llamaron de USYNT
▪️Debutó en #Bundesliga con 19 años
▪️1er americano en hacer hat-trick allí
▪️Ganó Copa Oro con #USMNT
▪️Juega en #LaLiga vs. R. Madrid
Matthew Hoppe 🇺🇸📈💪🏽 pic.twitter.com/f4K62WJQyQ
The 20-year-old made his professional debut in the Bundesliga with Schalke 04, but the story could’ve been different if the Los Angeles Galaxy had made a different decision. Hoppe started his youth career in the Galaxy academy, but after the end of the 2014/15 campaign he was released by the team.
The USMNT striker moved on to play for the Barcelona Residency Academy in Arizona and that helped him sign with Schalke 04 II in June 2019. The rest is history, the American player scored a hat-trick on his debut with the Bundesliga side on 9 January 2021. He became the first United States player to score three goals in Germany’s top-flight and help his team end a 30-game winless streak.
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO How many times has Barcelona won against Real Madrid without Messi?
- NFL Denver Broncos 14 vs Cleveland Browns 17 summary: score, highlights | NFL Week 7
- NFL Congress demands answers from the NFL about WFT investigation
- US NEWS How could Alec Baldwin have killed Halyna Hutchins with a prop firearm?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?