CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
CF Monterrey wins fifth CONCACAF Champions League trophy
An early goal from Rogelio Funes Mori was enough for Monterrey to defeat Club América in the 2021 CONCACAF Champions League final.
For the 16th consecutive time in the tournament, a Liga MX club won the CONCACAF Champions League trophy. This time CF Monterrey defeated Club América 1-0 in this year’s final, which was played at the Estadio BBVA Bancomer, to lift the fifth trophy in franchise history.
Monterrey undefeated in the final
They have an impressive record under their belt, because they have never lost a Champions League final. In this year's final that was not the exception and an early goal from Rogelio Funes Mori was enough to defeat the team from the capital.
Monterrey came out with full force right from the beginning and the high pressure paid off. In the ninth minute Jesús Gallardo sent in a low cross to Rogelio Funes Mori, who just tapped the ball to find the back of the net.
Monterrey’s defense was impeccable throughout the match and they were able to contain the offensive plays that were generated by Club América. This was also the first title with a Mexican club for manager Javier Aguirre since winning the Liga MX title with Pachuca in 1999.
Recommended in English
- NFL Wide receiver to wide back, the evolution being driven by the 49ers Deebo Samuel
- NFL Playoff Power Rankings: Packers, Rams, Chiefs | NFL Playoffs
- NFL NFL Wild Card Review: Games, Conclusions and Reflections
- AFCON Guinea-Bissau vs Nigeria: AFCON, times, TV and how to watch online
- AFCON AFCON Group D matchday preview: Egypt vs Sudan and Guinea-Bissau vs Nigeria
- Middleton admits Bucks need a Holiday from sorry slide as Grizzlies come into view